5 things that I needed to face before losing weight.
Changing your lifestyle and getting fit is not an easy task, there are no quick fixes/magic potions which actually work. No amount of herbal teas or pills will quickly undo the damage that you have done to your health mentally and physically.
Today’s read is going to be a harsher than others but I’m writing it because some of us need to face the harsh reality of getting healthy.
I had been on fad diets all my life and tried nearly every slimming mixture on the market.
I wasted hundreds and thousands of rands on products that promised me quick results. I turned away anything and everyone that told me that what I actually needed to do was to watch what I eat and start exercising. So believe you me, if there is anyone that can relate to your struggle it’s me.
I came to a point where I was losing it, I was turning into a crazy girl and my overeating was starting to destroy me inside out.
My next step saved my life and I hope this does the same for you.
So what are the 5 harsh realities that one needs to realize before losing weight.
1. Fat burners don’t actually melt fat away. Melting fat is scientifically impossible. A fat burner does not just burn fat, it works by increasing your metabolism by a SMALL percentage meaning that if you don’t diet correctly, it won’t work.
2. You do not need to cook with oil. It is a pointless way to use your calories. I would rather eat more food.
3. You really need to start exercising. Whether you hate it or not, exercise will speed up your results. It will put you in a positive head space. No one is saying that you need to go annihilate yourself but even if you start with 15 minutes a day, every bit of added effort that you put in, you will get out.
4. Cheat days don’t work if they are not controlled. You eat yourself into an overall surplus of calories and whoosh just like that all your hard week of dieting was for nothing. If you moderate them you will be more successful.
5. Some days you won’t feel like it and those are the days that you need to suck it up and work. No one is motivated 24/7 and it is perfectly normal to have moments of self-doubt, but you owe it to yourself to not let it defeat you.
When I decided to start my journey and to get healthy I realised that a lot had to change if I was going to achieve the things that I had set out to achieve. You also need to face the fact that if there was some secret out there and some quick fix, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn’t be such a secret. Don’t fall for the gimmicks that people try sell to you – save your money or invest it into a gym contract that will honestly be the best thing that you can do if you are serious about your health.
People are willing to spend a lot of money on fat burners but the moment that they hear how much a gym contract is, they start complaining. Come on people, have you seen how much some of that equipment costs now please measure that up against your little placebo effect capsules that you just bought.
Get real with yourself – and start your journey the right way. A healthy calorie deficit and a little elbow grease (aka exercise).
By Cherise Potgieter